Friday 21 September 2012

Tips For Growing Hair.




One thing I'm always astonished by is how quick my hair grows. At the start of this year it was barely touching my shoulders and I had a fringe at my eyebrows. I'd say the my hair is now a good 4 or 5 inches longer since January and a whole lot thicker and healthier. My hair obviously isn't long as such, but a lot of people ask me for tips on getting their hair to grow so here we are. These are just what has worked for me in the last 8 months and not everything you can do.

01. The first thing to remember is how much heat damages your hair. The last time I used my straighteners was... months ago! I rarely use them or apply any heat to my hair on a regular basis. I know everyone isn't like this, I probably prefer my hair slightly more wavy but I'm lazy and I've also seen how much my hair grows sans heat. Try and reduce the heat you apply to your hair, I use my hairdryer to dry my hair after every wash, so probably 3 times a week but I don't overdo it. I gently brush through and apply serums and/oils and then run my fingers through to separate and leave to dry naturally for around 20-30 minutes - this makes all the difference and you'll notice you really cut down on drying time!

02. Find hair products that suit your hair type. I really wasn't a fan of my hair until I got to know it, it's fine and can get oily and weighed down easily - using heavy conditioners was weighing down my hair and I found myself needing to style it with straighteners or tongs constantly and wash/dry it more often, meaning I was using heat all the time. After I bought shampoo and conditioner for fine hair, like the Phytovolume range from Phyto, my hair sat better and lasted longer between washes. I wasn't reaching for styling tools constantly and my hair wasn't falling flat at every opportunity.
Once a week, if you feel it's necessary, use a hair mask on your hair to keep it in check. I rarely do this as I hate too much conditioner in my hair, so I leave in my normal conditioner for a few extra minutes occasionally. This will prevent damage to hair and keep it silky smooth.

03. Be gentle. Although I have fine hair, the ends can get tangled easily. I stopped using conditioner for a while because I felt that it was just weighing down my hair, so before I found something which was lightweight and suitable for my hairtype, I had tangled, dry ends. Not good. I used to get my boyfriend to brush my hair and it would take so long, even with a Tangle Teezer (which I'm not a fan of), to brush and detangle my otherwise soft hair.
I swear by a small amount of L'Oreal Mythic Oil in the ends of my hair, it detangles and protects and leaves my ends silky smooth. I also use the Denman Tangle Tamer to brush through, it's such a good brush to gently detangle hair without breaking or damaging it. I have recently found out this is a kids brush, but it's one of my favourite hair brushes and very cheap so I really recommend it! It's so gentle and I think this is one of the reasons my hair never seems to break off or have split ends.

04. Protect from heat damage. Using heat is going to happen, as I've already explained not even I can live without it and I'm pretty laid back when it comes to my hair. I swear by a quick spritz of the TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Heat Protection spray, not only does it protect against heat damage but it also leaves hair silky smooth! Great for those who rely on straighteners to tame unruly hair.

05. Eat well and take supplements. Unfortunately for me, I have a rather awful immune system which means I have to take vitamins regularly or I get sick. I was brought up eating well so it's kind of stuck with me, and the added vitamins are probably another contributing factor to my good hair growth.
I don't take anything special, usually just Multivitamins but I make sure to get Iron, Vitamin C, Vitamin B and Zinc on a regular basis. I don't take anything specifically for my hair, these are just to keep me well but a balanced diet will help with hair growth.

What are your tips for growing hair and keeping it healthy?

YouTube - Instagram - Facebook - Bloglovin' - Twitter

Looking for a review? You might find it in my product directory!

28 comments:

  1. Macadamia Oil Treatment, I swear by it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hair growth posts, yours has grown loads! xx
    loveontopxo.blogpsot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I've actually been trying to grow my hair and though it grows quite fast (I get to witness that with my grey roots coming through), it's not fast enough.

    Can you recommend any other brand besides Phyto?

    Thanks!
    Miss drifted Snow White

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post! it's taken me 3 really long years to grow my hair from pixie crop length to chest level and i think that's because i'm a bit of a heat addict! i love lee stafford's hair growth treatment, not because it has that written on the tub and acts as a placebo, but simply because it's a lovely treatment which i think works well. that and cod liver oil tablets! i notice a huge difference to my skin, hair and nails when taking them for a few months :)

    from helen at www.thelovecatsinc.com // @thelovecatsinc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, i've been trying to grow my hair and found washing it less and using less heat has definitely helped!

    Sophierosehearts x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm forever trying to grow my hair but it's just damaged! It use to be down to my bum! But I dye my roots and straighten as my natural hair is wavy :( if only I was lucky to not have to use straighteners! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hair grows super fast, but I recently cut it and I want to try this out :)

    Biancarosa
    xoxo

    http://beancah.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips! I recently started using less conditioner and I notice a small improvement already :)

    xx Veronica

    http://frowardfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really enjoyed reading this post. I feel the same about heat. I don't really have a problem with me hair growth it's more with the condition of it. I use hair oil but I do really need to try and use less heat!
    Daniella x

    http://daniella-r.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are so pretty--always! anyway i have to agree with your "Be gentle" tip. it really helps when you care for your hair and treat it with gentleness (even in choosing gentle hair products)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The heat thing is definitely a must! Hair dying plays a role as well- not to dye hair full-length all of the time and use good quality dyes for the home dyers out there. Try not to wash your hair very often. My hairdresser recommended me to buy a bamboo brush and my scalp loves it, she also recommended brushing my hair a lot-lot more with it, which I thought was bad for your hair.. (I'm still puzzled by that in reality.) Not forgetting your scalp is a must, as massages and masks really help with hair growth!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look really gorgeous in both your photos, I love your wavy hair! I think I'm going to give mythic oil a go, everyone seems to be loving it x

    onelittlevice.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love hair growth posts, always on the lookout for the tip that will make a difference. My natural hair has finally got 'long' but I'm lacking some volume at the sides and ends. I think, I'm one of those people who will never be entirely happy with my hair. Yours always looks fab!:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved reading your 'hair-story' because I feel like my hair condition is similar to yours! Thanks for all the tips, although I'm not trying to grow out my hair any longer they are still so usefull for keeping it healthy! I really want to try the mythic oil now :) xx
    http://www.shylacoco.blogpot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these sort of posts! I cut my hair a while ago to donate it and it is slowly but surely growing out. I take multivitamins and hair vitamins daily and I swear by them! My hair grows so much faster when I take them. xx
    bohoglow.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are some great tips. Sophie at Sophie Rose
    I'm currently having a giveaway make sure to check it out xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think having semi regular trims till any damaged hair has grown out is pretty important and using the right hair brush.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great helpful tips :) iv been tyring to cut down the heat i use on my hair !
    Beautiful Dreams



    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a helpful post. I'm currently trying to grow mine and from your description my hair is very similar to yours. I'm certainly going to give these products a go.
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That brush is so much better than a tangle teezer! bought one after I kept borrowing my nieces!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it's a great post! xx

    www.ajumpinmargaretslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so helpful. Your hair is relatively short though so it probably would grow a lot quicker.xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. loved the tips, i really need to watch the heat i use on my hair ! x
    thebeautyheroes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post! Definitely need to try out these products. Thanks for sharing! x

    http://catsandclothing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post, I need to invest in some kind of detangling brush as my hair gets quite knotty after I've washed it. Im definitley going to try and cut down on the amount of heat I use on my hair. But I guess I should start with getting my split ends cut off....

    Leanne @ Leanne-Marie.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooh I love posts like these and getting other peoples techniques and opinions. While I was on holiday I was admiring the thought of having thick, healthy hair and was sharing tips with my sister in law who has amazing thick hair, her mum did shave her head when she was a baby but it's still very healthy. She uses henna, but she says it makes your hair colour slightly lighter or maybe darker, i don't remember.
    The day I got back I decided not to use any heat tools and I've been using moroccan argon oil from Avon,(once a week, if) which I kindly stole off my mum, I wanted to buy one anyway! It's been just over a month and I honestly feel like my hair has grown, I wanted to get it cut to my shoulders but I'm re-thinking now and might just get a trim so it can grow even healthier. I never have blow dried my hair either, I like to sleep in a towel (if it's that wet) or maybe a plait or just down cause I like the way it looks after that. Then cause that style usually only works for one day I wear it up all the time. I might try a fine shampoo and conditioner, I just need to hurry and use up the ones I currently have.
    Have you ever heard about using horse shampoo to make your hair thicker? I'd be a bit scared in case it all fell off or something but it's very intriguing.

    sophieal.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loved this post! My hair won't seem to grow so I'm very jealous of you!


    Sarah
    http://takemyscars.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
  28. This post is so helpful to me as my hair has suddenly decided it doesn't want to grow anymore, which is rather irritating!
    I think I'll have to drop my heat-obsession!
    Megan x

    ReplyDelete