Friday 20 July 2012

How To: Tackle Oily Hair.



For as long as I can remember, I've had to wash my hair every day. It's just something I had always done and my hair was used to getting a good clean everyday. Over time, I envied my friends volumised, messy 'dos and realised I had to stop washing my hair. 
My hair is fine, soft and hard to manage. I overcome this by using various products, but my hair is so much easier to manage now I can go a few days with washing (not to mention the extra time in bed). 

It's taken me a couple of months to go more than a day without washing, and I've found some absolute gems that I simply cannot live without. 
The first one I have reviewed before (here) and this is the Phyto Clarifying Detox Shampoo. I honestly cannot praise this enough, it's THE product which I can thank for my hair going from fine and flat and being washed every day to it's current wonderful state.
This is a detox shampoo, you use it once a week to thoroughly cleanse the hair, removing product build up and extending the amount of time between washes. It's similar to the Bumble & Bumble Sunday Shampoo, and although I love B+B I have to say I prefer Phytos offering. 
After using this shampoo I can go two or three days without washing which is amazing and I need to use a lot less product in my hair. If you're trying to cut down on washing, I highly recommend using this once a week, it's a great shampoo. 

After using the above shampoo, my hair needs a little bit of conditioner, one that isn't too heavy and won't weigh down hair. As I said, my hair is rather fine so rich conditioners just leave it flat and weighed down. I love Phyto products and this Phytobaume conditioner is really light and great for the ends of my hair when I need conditioner. I don't always use conditioner, but I find I do need it after using the Detox shampoo. Only use conditioner on the ends of your hair, a small amount will do. 
It depends what hair type you have, so you may have a conditioner which suits you but I really rate this one from Phyto. 

In between washes, I usually don't need dry shampoo the next day, although by the second day and definitely the 3rd I'm reaching for this Ojon Dry Cleansing Spray (dry shampoo by another name) which is incredible as it leaves NO trace of powder in your hair. You don't have a grey, powdery mop but you do have a beautiful, oil-free, volumised head of hair. 
I absolutely love this dry shampoo, it's great as a volumising product and I use it often. It's amazing to finally get hold of dry shampoo which leaves no trace in your hair. 

Keep up the no washing and you will notice that the time between washes gets longer and longer. I love when my hair is still shiny and clean on the second and third days, but it has taken a little while to get to this point. I really couldn't have done it without these products. 

Are there any products you recommend for oily hair? 

27 comments:

  1. Teh Rainforest Oil Balance Shampoo by the Body Shop is amazing...and it gives great volume! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. My hair can get quite oily and apart from dry shampoo I haven't found anything to tackle it. I'm going to buy these products.

    Laura xo
    whatlauradid.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive been looking for products like these but didnt know where to start. Great post :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have super oily skin and therefore hair, so I found this post useful! The one product I would recommend, though I've never tried it, is the Lush shampoo bar for oily hair. Every review I've read of it says it really works!

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOh might have to give this a whirl! Where can I get the dry shampoo from? I have been using VO5 plump me up and I have to say I have found that pretty good at not turning me grey but this sounds fab!

    http://sweetiesal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, I have fine oily hair and will be buying the shampoo ASAP!

    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. not wash my hair everyday?! I'm not sure I can. I might give these products a go, it'd be nice to have my hair colour last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this! I was having the same problem so I'm now in the process of trying to wash less. I'll defo be buying that shampoo now :) x

    jodieolivia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of these brands, will have to look into them as I have greasy hair timeframes haha Ixx

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is genius, that's for this rec.
    i have the same problem. i've not got to washing my hair once or twice a week but by the last couple of days i have to dry shampoo the hell out of it and i just stick it up.
    will give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Retread from Lush as for conditioner! It's so good and hydrating, but I apply this only on the ends... xx

    www.ajumpinmargaretslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you have the same hair type as me. Desperate to try out these products now!

    http://peluxe100.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great post! I have to wash my hair everyday and I really want to try and limit the number of hair washes. I might give some of this a go :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. between your detox and dry shampoo what products do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post is so useful! I have the same problem with having oily hair that needs to be washed everyday but I long to be able to spend those few extra minutes in bed, so thanks for the advice!

    Sophie
    www.anarrangementofnotes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can you use the Phyto Clarifying Detox Shampoo on coloured hair because I think you can only use the Bb Sunday one on virgin hair...?

    Char x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for this post! My hair is very fine and I wash it every second day but I am starting to feel its getting greasy more quickly, so the detox shampoo might be the thing I am looking for. I find that Osis Dust It Mattifying Powder, although its for volume is fab for soaking up excess oil
    Lianne :)
    rubyrubyslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. definitely going to try this out, getting so sick of having to wash my hair every day.

    highsocietyfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad you posted this. I'm sick of having to wash my hair everyday! I'm currently using Lush Jumping Juniper shampoo but it's not working as well as I'd hoped

    thoughtsfromanothergirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. So right! I used to wash my hair every day and managed to cut it down to 3 times a week (using the Lush I Love Juicy shampoo or the Jumping Juniper shampoo bar plus good old Batiste dry shampoo) and the quality of my hair's improved so much! It's also a lot easier to style when it's gone a day without a wash, which is something I'd never experienced before. Don't know how I possibly survived washing it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So pleased to read this, I struggle with oily hair too and don't have time to wash and dry it every day as its waist length. Going to give these products a whirl, thanks for the recommendation

    Rachael xx

    madeupoflittlethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for posting this. I have really fine, limp hair and didn't even consider that this might be because I wash it every single day. I'll definitely be trying these out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That detox shampoo looks ideal, at Uni I really got into the habit of washing my hair every day but it's supposed to be bad for your hair! Will definitely try this x

    ReplyDelete
  24. always good to know - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post! I have highlighted blonde hair so I'm a bit wary of using a clarifying shampoo incase it strips my colour :/ X

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for this! My hair is such a horrific greasy mess and washing it every day has become a must. It is so annoying though and I really wish I didn't have to. I'm definitely going to try out these products and see how I get on! xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have recently gone from having to wash my hair every day (every other day at the most) to washing it only twice a week! And this is down to Lush 'I love Juicy' shampoo and 'American Cream' conditioner, they're both so good for oily hair! I'm really keen to try this Phyto shampoo too though :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete